Saturday 1 December 2012

An Ode To Dave

Hey, people of the world,
I just wanted to say a few words about one of my heroes: David Attenborough (how predictable!).Yeah, so it's no surprise I idolise him, but I don't think I can keep a conservation blog without mentioning him at least once. As he celebrates his sixty years in broadcasting, now seems as good a time as ever to compose my Ode to Dave.

Dear David Attenborough, 
Words cannot convey the vast extent of respect I have for you, so I wonder why I'm even trying. Where could I start? Perhaps I could start at how you're bloody amazing for your age, you dog! Honestly, I don't know many 86 year olds who get around as much as you.
I have to ask the question: where would the world be without you? You're almost singlehandedly responsible for saving whole species on some counts. Your work is accountable for making environmental issues a household talking point, in Britain if not internationally. Most personally to me, you have fuelled my passion for the environment, and my desire to just do something to protect the world that you have shown to be so beautiful. Maybe you don't even know yourself how instrumental you've been in protecting the planet to the level we have so far. As far as I see it, if you hadn't been on our screens and our radios for the past sixty years, the message wouldn't have got through to us, as a nation, until it was far too late. As it stands, the notice you gave us has borrowed us significant time. Of course, one picks up on the fact I said borrowed; that's not escaped anyone's notice. As this is an open letter, I'll address them too: yes, people. We have time. It is borrowed time, granted, but it's time nonetheless. Let's choose what to do with it wisely, eh? Sorry about that, Dave. Back to the letter. 
I don't know what else I can say except for the fact that I admire you so much. This is probably getting a little sickening now, but words, as aforementioned, aren't enough to express just how much your work has meant to me over the years. I mean, I turn on the TV and see you just casually sitting there right next to wild gorillas, chatting away beside the last ever giant Pinta tortoise (R.I.P, Lonesome George. We’ll fight in your name), not to mention gone to the bloody North AND South Poles for weeks of filming at the age of bloody 85! Sir David Attenborough, you are a legend among men. I don't think there is a person on this whole planet who I respect QUITE as much as I do you (Hmm, perhaps this makes me come across as rather disrespectful in general. I'm not. I realise this statement would create much more of an impact if you knew me. Well, if only! ... Okay, that was one step too far. Move on!). I think I will round this thing up due to risk of overkill. 
Honestly, if I could be half the conservationist you are, if I could just see a quarter of the things you've seen, God be my witness, I would die fulfilled. And no, I don't think I can finish this post without admitting that I really, really love you. 
Thank you, Dave / Mr A. / Sir David.
It has been life changing.


(N.B: I find it mildly amusing to think that whilst many of my peers are swooning over pretty-boy bands such as One Direction, I'm sitting here declaring my love for an 86 year old man. And believe me, folks, I wouldn't have it any other way.)






No comments:

Post a Comment